Finding my WLAN IP address.

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 03:03:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> feisty at feisty-laptop:~$ ifconfig
> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:18:DE:98:C7:34
>          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:0 errors:92 dropped:4554 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>          RX bytes:11343827 (10.8 MiB)  TX bytes:2090090 (1.9 MiB)
>          Interrupt:16 Memory:efcff000-efcfffff
>
> feisty at feisty-laptop:~$ iwconfig

> eth1      unassociated  ESSID:off/any
>          Mode:Managed  Frequency=nan kHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
>          Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:16 dBm
>          Retry limit:15   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>          Power Management:off
>          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:4600   Missed beacon:0
> I most certain am connected (I'm posting this, right?), but why can't
> I find the address? Thanks in advance.

Wow, your system seems to think you don't have any connection working at
all.

One thing I would try is to run "tracepath www.google.com" - the first entry
shown should be your local machine, including IP address.

Maybe your wireless interface isn't showing up here for some reason?

Another thing to try is "route" and see what interface your default route is
on.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own