What to do with this workstation

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 18 18:57:43 UTC 2008

On 03/15/2008 10:28 AM, Qiuli Han wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> For some reason i got a workstation with 2 quad core intel  E5410 cpus and
> 8GB of FB-DIMM memory. It has only one PCI-E 16x slot, and the card on that
> slot is NVdia 8600GT with 256 DDR3 mem.
>
> I plan to install Ubuntu 7.10 64bit on it.
>
> The question is, with this box, what can I do with it?
>
> I am thinking of use it for graphic, animation or video editing, but i am
> not sure if the graphic card is good enough for doing it and is there any
> software i can use for these purpose.
>
> Fold at Home?
>
> any suggestions are welcomed ....
>

> Thanks
>

> Qiuli

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/derivatives
 http://ubuntustudio.org/

You can of course load all the apps on a standard 7.10 install -
ubuntustudio.org just puts them all in a convenient ISO.

Then you can add edbuntu (http://www.edubuntu.org/) & turn it into a
graphics workstation & editing learning server for folks (kids to
seniors) in your local community :-)