How safe is the upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 14:26:29 UTC 2008

On 15/03/2008, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 16:37 +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
>  > However, as far as I can tell, its developers
>  > abandoned it since 2006. A great shame.
>

> Well, AFAICT the reason is simply that all that EasyUbuntu (and
>  Automatix, to a lesser extent) did is now obsolete because of
>  improvements in Ubuntu

You're right that doing it the "official way" is now much easier and
more straightforward than it once was. However, I don't think that's
why the EasyUbuntu guys gave up, because back when they stopped
developing it, the official way was still quite hairy.

I think it's more likely that Automatix got all the "press" and all
the attention, because it did much more. EasyUbuntu just offered the
core codecs and tools; Automatix added in dozens and dozens of 3rd
party apps and things. The snag is, it did this by means of several
(what I am told were fairly ugly) hacks and kludges.

EasyUbuntu just added in a few new repositories and did some "apt-get"
commands for you. Much simpler, much cleaner, and also much faster and
requiring less user interaction.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508