perl dbd-oracle ?

Leo Cacciari leo.cacciari at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 14:10:36 UTC 2008

Il giorno mar, 18/03/2008 alle 13.30 +0900, Tomoki Taniguchi ha scritto:
> I have a need to write some perl programs to access an oracle db.
> but i don't see a libdbd-oracle-perl package in the repository.
>
> is there a 3rd party repository with a working libdbd-oracle-perl package?
>
> or is there some other way to get access to oracle db through perl?
AFAIK, you need oracle development libraries for compiling (and
installing DBD::Oracle (but check on cpan
http://search.cpan.org/~pythian/DBD-Oracle-1.20/Oracle.pm and read the
README file of the DBD::Oracle distribution).
I think that licence issues make impossible to distribute a compiled
version (as it would be in a debian/ubuntu package) of the perl module.
Thus you must install directly the cpan module. Either using the
classical installing method for perl modules (unpack, go into the
directory, do

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
sudo make install

Or you may use the perl tools like cpan or cpanp (the latter also allows
you tu build debian packages out from perl modules).

Enjoy

--
Leo 'TheHobbit' Cacciari