Recompiling the 6.06.2 Kernel

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon Mar 17 19:02:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 11:45 -0700, IsomerX wrote:
> I assume there is a reason that the kernel flavors would be compiled
> with different time slices, is there a performance gain from a
> shorter / longer time slice?

It's a trade off between responsiveness vs. throughput. Imagine gaming
or audio work vs. webserver tasks. You were already on the right track
when you thought about "time slices": googling for "time slice" AND
kernel finds this as the first hit, which should give you a start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preemptive_multitasking