Hardy. PulseAudio. How does it work? I have no sound.

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon Mar 17 17:33:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 00:39 +0000, Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> So I switched to that option from #1. It leaves me with no controls
> other than "master" and I can't find anything in the GNOME menus that
> is any more specific.

All the release notes for the Hardy alphas specifically mentioned that
PulseAudio volume control is "still not integrated". I guess this will
happen during the beta phase.

I've upgraded my Gutsy to Hardy months ago, and it always worked. For
gstreamer-based apps, you might have to set the Multimedia Systems
Selector to use Pulse Audio. It is in System > Preferences, but hidden
by default (use the menu editor to make it visible, or run
gstreamer-properties from the CLI.

Other apps need to be set to use PulseAudio one by one if they have the
option in their preferences. For those without the option, esd or Alsa
works for me.