Linux Hosting

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 09:56:03 UTC 2008

On 17/03/2008, Glenn S <glennlinuxmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Does anyone know of a CHEAP / Near FREE / Free Linux web hosting site -
> where you have Shell access, can customize your webpage, add joomla or
> wordpress as you go along? I am battling to find one anywhere were you
> basically can create your website from scratch from the shell and add as you
> go along.
>
> please point me in the right direction
>
> thanks

Hey,
  I've just signed up last week with drupalvaluehosting.com
  I paid $5/mo to buy a year in advance ($60) and got shell (ssh) & cpanel
access.
  Usual huge amounts of disk/bandwidth - 2TB disk 9TB/mo bandwidth.
  I run drupal on it, but you can just as easily run joomla.
  Only downside to this particular package is no ffmpeg - it's too cpu
intensive to realisticaly run fairly on shared hosting accounts.
  It got decent writeups on the drupal.org forums. It seems to be Indian
owned/run but US hosted.
  Online support tickets only, no phone number, but they have responded to
me within an hour or two the few times I've needed them in the initial
setup.

cheers,
Owen.

  N.B.
  I've never had any any other hosting, so I can't honestly compare them,
but it's been good so far.
  I can upload ~100KBps and download ~200KBps from here in Sydney/Australia.
It's apparently much faster in the US - ymmv