Benchmarking Solidworks in VirtualBox and VMWare Server

Alistair Crust alistair at skegnessgrammar.org
Mon Mar 17 08:49:55 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 13:06 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 15/03/2008, Owen Townend <owen.townend at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 15/03/2008, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I would like to benchmark the performance of SolidWorks in Ubuntu
> > > Linux under both VirtualBox and VMWare Server. Should I be running the
> > > benchmark software in the Windows VM or in Ubuntu? Which software is
> > > recommended for this?
> >

> > Hey,
> >   What is it that you're trying to benchmark?
> >
> >   Usually benchmarking from outside you can only measure the performance as
> > a 'black box' entity.
> >   From outside you can measure cpu/mem/network/disk access performance, but
> > typically only as total figures not as per individual process.
> >    From inside you have more fine grained measurements, but not an accurate
> > measure of how it is taxing the underlying hardware.
> >
> >   Depends what you want as to how you go about it.
> >   What do you want?
> >
> > cheers,
> >  Owen.
> >

> I want to see which virtualization solution will let me pust
> Solidworks closer to it's performance limit. Though I'm not doing
> anything very heavy with it now, I expect that I will in the future.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
 <א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

That's some serious cad your doing!! I used to use solidworks when I was
doing work experience at a local agricultural engineering firm.

I'd be interested to know if you found any alternative programs similar
to solidworks. We use ProDesktop here at school on a windows terminal
server, but I'd really like to move away from a windows based program.
Unfortunately solidworks (I think) carries a hefty price tag (please
correct me if I'm wrong) and all the other cad programs if found so far
that run natively on linux are either way to pricey or not advanced
enough for us here at school.

Kind regards
--
Alistair Crust <alistair at skegnessgrammar.org>