iwlist scan output incorrect?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Mar 17 01:54:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 01:37:57 +0000 (UTC)
Vitorio Okio <ovitorio at hotmail.com> wrote:

[snips]
> Quality=93/100 Signal level=-57 dBm Noise level=-72 dBm
> IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
> Group Cipher : TKIP
> Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
> Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
> Extra: Last beacon: 12ms ago
>
> At this point I'm not sure anymore what cipher I'm using on my
> connection.  Is it possible that 'iwlist scan' provides an incorrect
> output?
>
> Any suggestions, please?

I'm not sure whether the bcm43xx driver supports WPA2-PSK/AES but

a quick google turned up:

http://ramblingfoo.blogspot.com/2008/02/wpa2-psk-with-aes-on-broadcom-wlan0.html

Possibly the 2.6.24 kernel is required ( Gutsy does not have that of
course) .

I am currently using the bcm43xx , on my iBook G4 running the PPC version
of Feisty, but only using WPA1 with shared keys, PSK etc.

Perhaps yours is falling back to something possible because it can't
handle the configuration that you prefer?

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net