iwlist scan output incorrect?

Vitorio Okio ovitorio at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 17 01:37:57 UTC 2008

I'm using WRT54G router with DD-WRT firmware. My Wireless AP is set to
use WPA2-PSK/AES.  From what I know DD-WRT does not fall back to TKIP in
such setting independently of a client request.

However when I'm running 'iwlist scan' on my Gutsy using bcm43xx
restricted driver the output is as follows:

eth1 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
ESSID:"MyESSID"
Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
Mode:Master
Channel:9
Frequency:2.452 GHz (Channel 6)
Encryption key On
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Quality=93/100 Signal level=-57 dBm Noise level=-72 dBm
IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
Extra: Last beacon: 12ms ago

At this point I'm not sure anymore what cipher I'm using on my
connection.  Is it possible that 'iwlist scan' provides an incorrect
output?

Any suggestions, please?