Sound card : Sound Blaster X-Fi ?

Scott (angrykeyboarder) geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Mon Mar 17 00:10:52 UTC 2008

Vincent Trouilliez spake thusly:

> So I am seeking feedback from you boys (and girls): anybody has
> experience on Ubuntu with an X-Fi ? Is the proprietary driver really a
> joke ?

I didn't know there was one.

> Is there a community/open source driver available for this card ?

Nope.

Per http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Creative_Labs

"Creative actively preventing support due to no datasheets being released
to ALSA developers. Reverse engineering work not started due to lack of
time."

I guess thee aren't any ALSA devs out there buying new PCs. I've not seen
a new PC with a SoundBlaster card that *wasn't* an X-Fi in quite some
time (well over a year). The X-Fi series replaced the Audigy series.

This truly sucks.

If I were buying a PC today, I'd get it without a sound card and buy a
Audigy card on my own and install it (The Audigy cards are still for sale
- they just aren't found in new PCs).

--
Scott