Sound Card Trouble

Roger Benham rogerbenham2000 at yahoo.ca
Sun Mar 16 16:27:37 UTC 2008

Hi,
I'm trying to use Audacity with Ubuntu 7.10. I have a two year old PC with a working sound card. I found that if I put the headphone output from my keyboard into the front input socket of the computer, sound plays through the sound card to the computer external speakers but in Audacity I get no input signal even trying all the possible input choices that Audacity allows through Preferences.
How can I get Audacity to see the incoming sound?
Thanks,
Roger.