About 8139too

飞文染翰 aronmalache at 163.com
Sun Mar 16 15:25:05 UTC 2008

 Thank you for your explain.I only think that if I use LTS version ,I don't need to upgrad the whole network very frequently,only for securiy and the new features that I need.As you know,update from a lower version to a latest version can take plenty of time,for example upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10.And I do need a stable system that don't stop me from getting it well from crash for I am not familiar with it.As for my own desktop,I'd use the latest version as you suggest,a good choice,isn't it?

 Aron

2008-03-16,"Vincent Trouilliez" <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> :

>  It is amazing that I must use it because I am on the bussiness of a Print shop,I do use many old devices such as old laster printers,and a not very old scanner.If I must remove the card to skip the waiting,I had better don't do it.

So you mean/imply that you have indeed a SCSI controller like I used to ? So chances are your problem is indeed the very same that I epxerienced.

> But when I use Rhel,these problems didn't come out,is there any ways that I can skip the wait and use my old devices as usual?

Ah, interesting. As you can see at the end of my bug report, the Ubuntu dev implied that it was usual/normal for SCSI controller to take that long to scan the bus, so I just left it at that and accepted it ! Since I have only ever used my SCSI cad with Ubuntu, and always had this problem, I couldn't compare with other distros like you did.
But if your SCSI controller doesn't "hang" at boot using other distros, then I guess it's worth for you to file a bug report in Ubuntu, so the devs can investigate the difference between Ubuntu and Rhel, and maybe fix Ubuntu.

> I am just waiting for 8.04LTS,and after I upgrad my computers to that version,I'd use it until next LTS version come out, LTS is better for using a network and share files,pringters,and even compack disk burners.Is that right?

No. LTS versions are no better (technically) than "normal" releases. The only difference is that they enjoy 3 to 5 years of support instead of only 1.5 year for normal releases, so they can target businesses/entreprises/corporations. So, LTS releases tend to avoid implementing stuff that's too new/immature, and they try and add a bit more polish overall, but there is no intrinsic reason why an LTS would work any "better", overall, than a non-LTS release. Just a bit more polish and testing and more support, that's all.

HTH

--
Vince