Evolution's crazy habit with moving an e-mail to a folder !?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sun Mar 16 14:48:21 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 21:35 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> I maintain about 15 mail accts and about the same amount of aliases or
> forwarders !
> Some are private and some are hobby or IT related !!
>
> My table looks like the following sample:
>
> c-Alberto
> c-Bianca
> c-Carlo
> i-ubux
> p-news
> c-Mario

I see. I don't have such a setup, so I can't compare. But even so, I do
note that this is not your only sorting issue -- you also have a sorting
problem in the menus, as I recall.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a problem with your locale settings that
affects both issues. Did you see sorting issues anywhere else? And what
is the output if you enter "locale" on the command line?

> Not only:
> Getting new mails ...
> ... it starts with c-Mario and fetches the messages table backwards ;-((

I don't know about this, either. Maybe it's as designed, maybe not.

> OOPpss ...
> ... you call these Top/Up/Down Botom a sorting ??? ;-((
> Thats very poor !!! ;-|
> I do really not know how many filters, NOW we come to filter & rules, I
> have set !? ;-|
> There are quite a few and I am sure there are some doublets !! ;-)
>
> I would expect a sort of all filter entries either increasing or
> decreasing alphabetically !!! ;-D
> Only a proper sort of all these entries helps to check and maintain them
> reasonably.

No, it is not possible to have them sorted alphabetically. As I have
tried to explain in another subthread of the same thread, THE FILTER
ORDER MATTERS, because the filters are applied in sequence. A filter
named "ubuntu" may have to be applied _before a filter named "mario",
depending on what it actually filters on, and the actual filter setup.

For your convenience I will copy again, to the bottom of this email,
what I wrote in the other. And below that you will find a quote from
Evolution's Help menu that also explains the same thing. It would be
nice if this time you actually read and tried to understand it, instead
of thinking you know it all and dismissing it out of hand. Because you
clearly don't.

Mario

-----copy from other email-----

What happens is that the filters are run in sequence, but just because
one filter applies to a message, that does not mean that other filters
don't. The mail practically "dribbles" down through all the filters, and
whenever a condition is true, the defined action is taken.

If this is not the desired behavior, one must set a "Stop Processing"
action.

Simple Example:

Filter 1: if message body contains "that", move to folder "that"
Filter 2: if message body contains "email", move to folder "email"

Now if a message comes in that contains the words "that email", filter 1
will apply and move it to "that", and then filter 2 will apply and move
it to "email".

If you don't want 2 to happen, you need to end the conditions in filter
1 with "Stop Processing". This also makes filtering faster

-----and here's the quote from Evolution's help-----

If you have several filters that match a single message, they are all
applied to the message in order, unless one of the filters has the Stop
Processing action. If you use that action in a filter, the messages that
it affects are not touched by other filters.

When you first open the Filters dialog box, you are shown the list of
filters sorted in the order in which they will be applied. You can move
them up and down in the priority list by clicking the Up and Down
buttons.