dvd writer question

Keith Richie disturbed1976 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 02:23:49 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu at dachsweb.de> wrote:
> Am Sun, 16 Mar 2008 00:54:58 +0000
>  schrieb Zatlite Minthar <zatlite at hotmail.com>:
>

>  >
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > What is the lowest spec. machine you could install a dvd writer on?
>  > Since my p4 machine developed a problem with it's motherboard, I've
>  > been using my celeron 400MHz machine which has 256MB RAM and xubuntu
>  > installed. I've salvaged parts of my P4 machine like the hard drive
>  > and installed them on my older machine. I haven't tried moving the
>  > dvd writer across because I'm not sure if the old machine can write
>  > dvd with that much processing power and ram. Has anyone tried dvd
>  > writing on a low spec machine like mine? Would it work?
>
>  Depends on what you want to do with it. Burning a DVD should make no
>  problems. Decoding of the mpeg2 stream for viewing a DVD could be a
>  little bit too much for the cpu, without the help of a graphic card
>  that can take part of the job. I would give it a try. If it doesn't
>  work then google for a dxr3 card and snipe it at ebay.
>
>  Gerald
>
>  --

DVD burning on a PII 266 384mb ram works just fine at 4x. 8x gave a
few issues once in a great while.

Burning is just reading data and outputing data. The main concern is
not the CPU power, the transfer rate and ability of the ide bus. With
my PII 266 it was an ATA 33 bus. An ATA 66 or ATA 100 would be much
better.

I also have a system with an add in ata card (Promise TX2 Ultra ata
100) that has no issues burning at 8-12x with a PIII 500. CPU load on
that machine hovers around 30% while burning.