Benchmarking Solidworks in VirtualBox and VMWare Server

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at
Sat Mar 15 11:06:51 UTC 2008

On 15/03/2008, Owen Townend <owen.townend at> wrote:
> On 15/03/2008, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at> wrote:
> > I would like to benchmark the performance of SolidWorks in Ubuntu
> > Linux under both VirtualBox and VMWare Server. Should I be running the
> > benchmark software in the Windows VM or in Ubuntu? Which software is
> > recommended for this?
> Hey,
>   What is it that you're trying to benchmark?
>   Usually benchmarking from outside you can only measure the performance as
> a 'black box' entity.
>   From outside you can measure cpu/mem/network/disk access performance, but
> typically only as total figures not as per individual process.
>    From inside you have more fine grained measurements, but not an accurate
> measure of how it is taxing the underlying hardware.
>   Depends what you want as to how you go about it.
>   What do you want?
> cheers,
>  Owen.

I want to see which virtualization solution will let me pust
Solidworks closer to it's performance limit. Though I'm not doing
anything very heavy with it now, I expect that I will in the future.

Dotan Cohen

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?