Benchmarking Solidworks in VirtualBox and VMWare Server

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 02:54:35 UTC 2008

On 15/03/2008, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to benchmark the performance of SolidWorks in Ubuntu
> Linux under both VirtualBox and VMWare Server. Should I be running the
> benchmark software in the Windows VM or in Ubuntu? Which software is
> recommended for this?

Hey,
  What is it that you're trying to benchmark?

  Usually benchmarking from outside you can only measure the performance as
a 'black box' entity.
  From outside you can measure cpu/mem/network/disk access performance, but
typically only as total figures not as per individual process.
  From inside you have more fine grained measurements, but not an accurate
measure of how it is taxing the underlying hardware.

  Depends what you want as to how you go about it.
  What do you want?

cheers,
Owen.