Evolution's crazy habit with moving an e-mail to a folder !?

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Thu Mar 13 23:04:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 17:53 -0700, Carl Spitzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 20:55 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
>

> Study your filters carefully.  They do not run in serial but in
> parallel.
> So if a message fits two or more filters two or more actions or copies
> of it will come to be.  I got into a circular problem like that once and
> what I did was delete all filters and restudy the inbox.
>
> BTW there are also outgoing filters so if you post to a message list
> wherein your set to get your own messages back, keeps threads together,
> then you can set a filter to delete that message after sending.  I do
> this with all posts to yahoogroups.com and egroups.com
>
> CWSIV

Hi Carl
Thanks for your interesting feedback !
My answer goes to you and the Ubuntu Users too !!

My complaints didn't go into the direction of how Evolution filters
e-mails !
The complaint goes to simple moving e-mails from INbox to their
definitive folder locations !!!

Explanations & Sample:
Without these ugly disturbing  "eS Pe A eM's more than 100 e-mails
almost every day,
from private and ITC contacts, i.e. mailing lists like the one from
Ubuntu. ;-)

Getting these e-mails I do it with 2 step:
Private e-mails and ITC info and news come straigtaway to my INbox !
All other accounts with high volumes do need manual PWD's to control
their arriving !!
After checking & reading some go stored in their final folders and the
rest goes deleted !!!

Now it comes what I complain about:
After all these checkings, readings all e-mails are in their places and
the INbox is empty.
ALL of these e-mails NOT deleted but moved to their final folder
location are in TRASH too :-O

That's very ugly and makes control very difficult and more complicated
than neccessary !!! ;-(((

I am used to famous Lotus Notes:
Moving e-mails directly into their respective folder location doesn't
leave a spur in TRASH !!!
Eeased and deleted e-mails ONLY are in TRASH !!!

That's the way I expected it !!

One more point comes up:
Replying with Lotus Notes places the answer not only in SENT !
It is also placed there, where one answers from !!

I answer to you and the Ubuntu Users from the INbox straightaway ...
... so I will have your incoming and my outgoing message in the
INbox ...
... plus the one in SENT !!!

This solution is very cool and efficient:
Knowing to whom I wrote I check directly the respective folder !
Like this I do have the whole communication, incoming and outgoing in
one spot !!
Not like ARROW'ed mails showing that they are answered and one has to
search further !!! ;-|

Searching for "Evolution's crazy habit ..." messages written to some
recipients ...
... I check under SENT !!

Well, the application offers search assistance too but luckily I know
what I am looking for and do need these application searches very
rarely ! ;-)

So, I better stop here !
Please excuse me for my longwinded "Swiss German English" !!
I hope you understand what I mean and wrote !!! ;-D

Cheers, svobi