Disable access to external devices for specific users

Raj Kiran Grandhi grajkiran at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 14:25:19 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 03/12/2008 06:52 PM, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
>> How does one disable access to external storage devices like usb flash
>> drives and cdroms?
>>
>> Not adding the users to the plugdev group does not seem to be working as
>> the usb drives are automatically being mounted upon insertion.
>>
>> Here is the output of `id guest`:
>> $ id guest
>> uid=1001(guest) gid=1001(guest) groups=1001(guest)
>>

>> I am using Ubuntu 7.10 and this issue is present in both the 32bit
>> version as well as the 64bit version.
>>

> System|Administration|Users and Groups|Properties|User Priviledges

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of those settings. I have unchecked
all the privileges and as mentioned in my previous mail, the user is not
a member of any other group. Only, it does not appear to work. When a
usb flash drive is plugged it when only the unprivileged user is logged
in, the drive is automounted and nautilus opens it happily.

Do the user privileges work as they are supposed to work on your system?

On a debian system at my home, the same setup works and I get a
permission denied error if I manually try to mount the flash drive by
double-clicking on the corresponding icon in "Computer"

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi