Locale settings

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Wed Mar 12 12:23:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 12:44 +0100, Lea Gris wrote:

> August Karlstrom a écrit :
> | Hello everyone,
> |
> | What I would like to have is a swedish locale but with messages in
> english.
> | I probably need something like
> |
> | export LANG="sv_SE.UTF-8"
> | export LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
> |
> | but to which file do I add these lines? I also want the settings to
> take effect
> | only for a local user.
>
> /etc/environment
>
> cat /etc/environment
> PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games"
> LANG="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> LANGUAGE="fr_FR:fr:en_GB:en"
> LANG="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> LANGUAGE="fr_FR:fr:en_GB:en"
> ### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION FOR localeconf
> # Do not edit within this region if you want your changes to be preserved
> # by debconf.  Instead, make changes before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
> # FOR localeconf" line, and/or after the "### END DEBCONF SECTION FOR
> # localeconf" line.
> LANG="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> ### END DEBCONF SECTION FOR localeconf

Hi Lea,
Merci / Thanks for your sample !
Leo's explanations were quite great but how can I as newbie
follow !? ;-(
with your sample I see you are bilingual FR and EN and your locale is
F ! ;-)

Can I just copy and paste your sample into my environment and remove
all entries of FR ... and replacing 'fr_FR' with the Swiss German one
and
how does the Swiss German look: de_CH ???

TIA for advise and guidance !
Cheers, svobi