Update and proxy question

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Mar 12 12:08:41 UTC 2008

The organization I'm in has moved to using what I believe is a Bess
filter behind a PIX firewall, and it authenticates users before allowing
access to http and https sites.  It tries to automatically authenticate
users to a Windows Active Directory domain.

The boss said I can manually configure my web browser to use the proxy.
  I set it up in Firefox to go to the correct port and address, and it
prompts me to log in then I can web browse.  But auxiliary services...my
weather applet, my system updates...are blocked still.  Even if I set my
network settings to use that proxy and use authentication, the filter is
blocking everything except for my Firefox browser.

Is there a client-side solution to this??