External USB hard drive "loosing" connection [Maxtor onetouch]

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 07:31:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri at cbn.net.id> wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 March 2008 11:47:33 Hemant Bist wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I recently bought a Maxtor onetouch extenal USB drive 500GB for backup
> for
> > my ubuntu dapper system.
> > Every morning the backup script fails because it has problem in
> accessing
> > the drive. Once I manually remount(sudo umount /dev/sda1; sudo mount
> > /dev/sda1) the drive and restart backup it works fine.
> > Has anyone seen this problem before? Any workarounds for this?
>
> Maybe the auto-sleep disconnect the drive? Is there any related messages
> in /var/log/syslog?
>
> As a work around you can set a crontab to prevent the drive from sleeping,
> maybe a 'ls -l /var/backup' for every 10 minutes.

Hey,

I agree it sounds like a sleep issue, but this solution seems like overkill,

if this is the only time it is an issue why not add the remount to the start

of the backup script?
You _may_ be able to run `sudo mount -o remount /dev/sda1` instead of
the two separate commands.
If you don't want to have to enter a sudo password and also don't want to
give blanket nopasswd access to mount then write your remounts in a script,
chown root; chmod 744; then add permissions for the script to you sudoers.

cheers,
Owen.