Local Printers Greyed Out In Add Printer Wizard

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 12 05:39:38 UTC 2008

--- scott <redhowlingwolves at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Yeah, I posted to Kubuntu User list, got one reply
> and
> > no solution. So, I'll try here as I usually post
> here
> > because get better help. Here is the original
> post:
> >
> >> From: Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net>
> >> Subject: Add Printer Wizard Issue
> >> To: Kubuntu Users List
> >> <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> >>
> >> I am desperate to get a local usb printer
> installed
> >> on
> >> my AMD64 X2 6000+ Gateway machine. Have been
> trying
> >> for days using localhost:631/admin and System
> >> Settings
> >> -> Printers -> Add printers/classes. The info I
> need
> >> to print is for income tax preparation and time
> is
> >> running out.  What I find in System Settings ->
> >> Printers -> Add printers/classes is that the
> "local
> >> printers(parallel, serial, usb) is greyed out and
> >> when
> >> it it greyed out nothing will install the printer
> >> for
> >> me. Can anyone please tell me how to make the
> local
> >> printers button active again so that I can
> install
> >> my
> >> Epson Stylus CX5800F USB printer. Am getting
> rather
> >> desperate and need a solution quickly. Thanks
> very
> >> much for you help,
> >>
> > I have googled on this to no end; more than a week
> and
> > find many hits but no solution for me. This issue
> has
> > come up before and got fixed but don't remember
> how.
> > I could really use some help on this. Many thanks
> for
> > any info.
> >
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
> >
> Make sure printer is hook-ed up, powered up and then
> go to terminal and
> type lsusb and see if the printer shows up.
>
> If it does, you probably just don't have a driver
> for your printer.
> lchata at ubuntu64:/$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0461:4d16 Primax Electronics,
Ltd
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 058f:6377 Alcor Micro Corp.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04b8:0821 Seiko Epson Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
lchata at ubuntu64:/$ID
Seem to be there on Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04b8:0821
Seiko Epson Corp.

> You can check the availability of drivers for your
> specific printer at
>
>  http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
>
> They probably have what you need.

Don't understand why I need to do this as this printer
was working about a week ago. It appears the
Gutenprint
driver, gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.x86_64.rpm, is the
same one on my 64 bit gutsy install and which I use in
my printer install attempts. But, I have downloaded it
and will give it a shot as soon as I get back from
back surgery scheduled for tomorrow. Will let the list
know how it turns out. Thanks for the info,
BTW, the printer does install just doesn't print.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net