LiveCD Customization: Using GNOME in chroot environment trick

(=?utf-8?q?=60=60-=5F-=C2=B4=C2=B4?=) -- Fernando ubuntu at
Tue Mar 11 15:21:52 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 11 March 2008 14:14:29 FameR wrote:
> thanks a lot for this, it works good!
> but i need to edit some gnome setting such as keyboard gnome settengs
> and default language, so i suppose i need to use gnome anyways
> is there way to get that trick work?

When you start with "startx" instead of "/etc/init.d/gdm start" you are starting gnome anyway... but just as root and without gdm.
you can edit any default setting yoou want, and it will be saved on that user profile (in this case, the root's one).
But it you want to make permanent changes, for future users, then you need to start in the skel profile (this is the one that is coppied to new users).
So instead of  "export HOME=/root" use "export HOME=/etc/skel/"

hope it helps.

BUGabundo  :o)
Linux user #443786    GPG key 1024D/A1784EBB
My new micro-blog @