How safe is the upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Mar 11 18:29:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 15:02 +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
> I have a fairly hacked-about with 7.04 system. I have nonstandard
> apps, like Pidgin from getdeb.net. I used Automatix to get multimedia
> support. Stuff like that.
>
> It's showing its age. When I boot, it drops into a bash shell as it
> starts the init process, saying that the error is that apt-get is not
> installed. I can't use ^d to exit this, but if I type "exit" and hit
> Return it continues booting normally. Yesterday, my 2nd monitor
> stopped working, and occasionally, the PC has started freezing.

I'd say you'll be much better off reinstalling anyway, if the machine is
so broken. Create a tar file of /etc, /home, and of any valuable data
elsewhere on another disk, reinstall, and then selectively untar back
what you need. If you have some time, you might want for 8.4 anyway,
it's a little more than a month away if everything works out fine.

Btw, Automatix is largely obsolete now, and the authors plan to
integrate remaining functionality properly:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Automatix/Ubuntu_Team_Collaboration