How safe is the upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Mar 11 17:27:07 UTC 2008

Liam Proven wrote:
> I have a fairly hacked-about with 7.04 system. I have nonstandard
> apps, like Pidgin from getdeb.net. I used Automatix to get multimedia
> support. Stuff like that.
>
> It's showing its age. When I boot, it drops into a bash shell as it
> starts the init process, saying that the error is that apt-get is not
> installed. I can't use ^d to exit this, but if I type "exit" and hit
> Return it continues booting normally. Yesterday, my 2nd monitor
> stopped working, and occasionally, the PC has started freezing.
>
> I have tried to install a 2nd system alongside my current one, but if
> I try to install from the desktop liveCD, the installer hangs when
> installing packages. The alternate CD crashes out with an error when
> installing packages.
>
> So I am a little reluctant to try to do an in-place upgrade on my only
> working OS!
>
> Is is possible and relatively straightforward to copy my root
> partition onto another volume, so that I have a backup copy, and then
> try upgrading one of them? This is already a multiboot PC:

Generally speaking, yes, it's straightforward (relatively speaking)
However, and this is very very important, some of the symptoms you
described above are classic memory corruption/overheating Cpu type
problems.. As long as your pc is behaving this way undiagnosed, all bets
are off.  I wouldn't mess around with it until a technician has
identified and corrected the underlying illness.