Help with FAT 32 mounting partitions

Bob Cortez rjcortez at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 01:01:15 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Owen Townend <owen.townend at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 3/11/08, Bob Cortez <rjcortez at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > in
> > > on

> > >  defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46
> > >  defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46
> > > >

> > > I'm assuming you can read these as root, but not as your user. You
> > > should be sure you are in group plugdev , that's what gid=46 is
> > > pointing at.
> > >

> > How do I change it so they mount on boot up and are available to all
> > users on the network?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bob
> >
> > --
> >

> Hey,
>   Are you able to access the disks as a normal user logged into the system
> with this setup?
>   How would you like to be able to access the disks over the network?
>   If you have windows machines you'll want to install/configure samba,
> otherwise NFS.
>   Depending on what you're using them for though you may only need
> ftp/sftp/sshfs.
>
>   In short: what can you do now, what are your requirements, and what have
> you done so far?
>
> cheers,
> Owen.

Write now  Disk1 and Disk2 only show up as folders in file system.  I can
open the folders fine, as a user.  They are empty right now.  They don't
appear on the desktop or under Computer in the 'Places' menu.

I'll probably use Samba to make the drives available on the network.  The
drives will just be data storage that will need to be accessible rw for all
users on the network (766?)

I'm thinking about deleting these two partitions and reconfiguring them to
NTFS