Help with FAT 32 mounting partitions

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 00:34:36 UTC 2008

On 3/11/08, Bob Cortez <rjcortez at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Rich Rudnick <rich at aphroneo.net> wrote:
>
> > Bob Cortez wrote:
> > > I have a dual boot (XP and Gutsy)  I want to be able to read write in
> > > both OS to two FAT 32 partitions.  They will also be shared drives on
> > > our network.
> > >
> > > Results from fdisk -l
> > >
> > > /dev/sda4            2676        9729    56661255    b  W95 FAT32
> > > /dev/sdb1               1        9729    78148161    b  W95 FAT32
> > >
> > > Lines in /etc/fstab
> > >
> > > # /dev/sda4
> > > UUID=F8F2-2027  /disk1          vfat    defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46
> > > 0       1
> > > # /dev/sdb1
> > > UUID=FC2C-3A48  /disk2          vfat    defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46
> > > 0       1
> > >

> > I'm assuming you can read these as root, but not as your user. You
> > should be sure you are in group plugdev , that's what gid=46 is pointing
> > at.
> >

> How do I change it so they mount on boot up and are available to all users
> on the network?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Hey,
  Are you able to access the disks as a normal user logged into the system
with this setup?
  How would you like to be able to access the disks over the network?
  If you have windows machines you'll want to install/configure samba,
otherwise NFS.
  Depending on what you're using them for though you may only need
ftp/sftp/sshfs.

  In short: what can you do now, what are your requirements, and what have
you done so far?

cheers,
Owen.