What to do when Ubuntu boots into Busybox CLI?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 19:42:23 UTC 2008

On 10/03/2008, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Check the logs. My guess would be that it is a peripheral problem and
>  initramfs conflict. Check your fstab and grub as well to make sure the
>  drive & CDRom are properly configured.

Strangely, were no logs in /root, and no logs in /var/logs. I don't
remember exactly, but I don't think that /var/logs even existed. I
just managed to install and boot using the alternative CD, even though
I thought that in the end it would give the same installation as the
LiveCD does. Turns out that it doesn't.

>  _If_ it boots to an older kernel, it could be that intramfs isn't
>  getting updated for the new kernel. You could try:
>
>  sudo update-initramfs -u -k <kernel>
>  sudo update-grub
>  sudo aptitude reinstall linux-restricted-modules-<kernel>
>
>  Example: sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.24-12-generic
>  sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.24-12-generic
>  sudo update-grub
>  sudo aptitude reinstall linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-12-generic

As this was a fresh install, there were no previous kernels.

>  If the inintramfs script didn't get generated for some reason, then make
>  one first:
>
>  sudo mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-<kernel-generic> <kernel-generic>
>  sudo update-grub
>
>  See man update-initramfs. Using the -u just updates. If you want to
>  create a new one then use -c.

In any case I'll read the man pages you suggest. Can't hurt to learn!
Thanks. I'm off to file a bug.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il