Shutdown problem CIFS related

Peter ubuntu at ourvirtualhome.com
Mon Mar 10 19:09:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:36:50 +0000
JosephK <joseph at oxtedonline.net> wrote:

> Just installed Samba on my Gutsy box and ever since, when shutting
> down, I get several NetworkManager errors and warnings followed by
> these 2 lines:-
>
> CIFS: VFS server not responding
> CIFS: No response for cmd 114 mid 39
>
> after which the machine hangs and I have to switch off via the power
> switch.
>
> Any ideas?

It's a bug and it looks like it's still a big in Hardy as well.
Your network (NetworkManager) is being shutdown before dismounting of
the Samba shares, that won't work so well :)

You can do the following work around:
cd /etc/rc6.d
ls -la

You should see :
S<nr>wpa-ifupdown the nr is probably 15
and
S<nr>umountnfs.sh that nr is probably 31

Type:
sudo mv S31umountnfs.sh S14umountnfs.sh

The point is to give the umountnfs.sh a lower as your wpa-ifupdown.sh
You'll still see the Networkmanager errors but the CIFS is gone :)

--
Peter van der Does

GPG key: E77E8E98
IRC: Ganseki on irc.freenode.net