What to do when Ubuntu boots into Busybox CLI?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 10 18:49:01 UTC 2008

On 03/10/2008 12:52 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 10/03/2008, scott <redhowlingwolves at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>> Busybox is not the normal thing that you would see in Ubuntu to
>> begin with. You must have specified some option during the install
>> that brings you to this problem. See here for what you are looking
>> at
>>> http://www.busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html
>>
>> I can't see how you got Busybox, if you didn't know what you were
>> doing to begin with!?
>>

> I see that when I remove the quiet kernel parameter that the
> filesystem mounts, but the system is waiting for the filesystem,
> whatever that means. I _can_ browse the filesystem in busybox.

Check the logs. My guess would be that it is a peripheral problem and
initramfs conflict. Check your fstab and grub as well to make sure the
drive & CDRom are properly configured.

_If_ it boots to an older kernel, it could be that intramfs isn't
getting updated for the new kernel. You could try:

sudo update-initramfs -u -k <kernel>
sudo update-grub
sudo aptitude reinstall linux-restricted-modules-<kernel>

Example: sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.24-12-generic
sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.24-12-generic
sudo update-grub
sudo aptitude reinstall linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-12-generic

If the inintramfs script didn't get generated for some reason, then make
one first:

sudo mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-<kernel-generic> <kernel-generic>
sudo update-grub

See man update-initramfs. Using the -u just updates. If you want to
create a new one then use -c.