removing packages

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Mar 10 13:58:01 UTC 2008

Jamie,

Jamie Griffin wrote:
> Well i installed Maildrop and it installed some associated exim
> files. These -- or at least some of them -- are still on the system,
> shown here:
>
> /etc/exim4/conf.d/transport/30_exim4-config_maildrop_pipe
> /etc/exim4/conf.d/router/800_exim4-config_maildrop

These two are not in the list of files contained in the package
maildrop, so I can only assume they get created during installation or
configuration of the package. You can remove these manually, but you
should check they are not referenced directly anywhere in the exim
config files.

> /var/cache/apt/archives/maildrop_2.0.3-1_i386.deb

This it the installation package itself in the apt cache directory. It
does no harm to leave it there. You could use the aptitude clean
command, but that deletes all cached .deb files (they just get down
loaded again should you need them).

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk