Problems Configuring a Network Printer between 6.06 LTS, and 7.10

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 9 23:21:20 UTC 2008

On 03/08/2008 12:32 PM, Jay Ridgley wrote:

> > Folks,
> >
> > I recently obtained a new computer for my wife and have Ubuntu 7.10
> > installed on it, it does not have a physical printer.  I have another
> >  system running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS that has a HP 3180 Photosmart printer
> >  attached.  I have configured that printer successfully.
> >
> > There appear to be two methods of installing a network printer one
> > titled Printers and the other titled "Printer Configuration Local
> > Host" Both are listed in the System -> Administration  Menu  (S/W
> > 7.10) . Only the  Printers  entry appears  on  the  system  with the
> > physical printer (S/W 6.06 LTS).
> >
> > The first one allows me to add the network printer but produces the
> > wrong IP address in the URL on the system with the physical printer.
> > It does not work...
> >
> > However, when I attempt use the show printers shared by other systems
> >  method using the second entry I get to a point where the install
> > wizard keeps asking for my administrative password repeatedly and I
> > am unable to get past that request. Yes, I am sure of the password
> > and it is correctly entered, btw I am logged in as the administrative
> > user...
> >
> > The system with the attached printer is listening on port 631.  The
> > Printers window does not have the option to Share printers under
> > Global Settings on that system also shows only Detect LAN Printers
> > (S/W 6.06 LTS)
> >
> > I am at a loss as to what I should do... ideas or raw random thoughts
> >  welcomed.
> >
> > Thanks, Jay

  NoOp replied:

  If the system with the printer attached has a fixed IP (i.e.,
  192.168.x.x or similar), the easiest way to connect from the 7.10
  machine is to use IPP. So in the Printer Configuration for the Device
  URI use: ipp://192.168.x.x:631/printers/<printername>

  So, from 7.10: System|Administration|Printing|New Printer|Internet
  Printing Protocol (ipp) - Host: <IP address> - Find Queue, and that
  should find the 6.06 machine's printer(s) if the 6.06 machines printers
  are shared. If the queue doesn't show up, then use "Other" and enter the
  URI directly: ipp://192.168.x.x:631/printers/<printername> - Forward.

  If the 6.06 doesn't have a fixed IP (I recommend for just this reason),
  then ipp://<machinename>:631/printers/<printername>

Reply to NoOp and the list
Thanks,

I have it working now...

Regards,