Installing a program with exe

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sun Mar 9 17:35:44 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-09 at 18:17 +0100, Bjørn Simonsen wrote:
> Hi Winton
>
> >Try opening Synaptic and typing in "Search"  dictionary and see what
> >comes up.
> >Install from synaptic
> This is what I have done. I hve installed two programs and I have got
> the message that Installation was OK.
> But I can't find the programs. The one was Videolan and the other was
> Clue (ductionary).

The only "clue" I can find in Synaptic is this one:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/clue

However, it just shares the name with the dictionary application for
Windows; this one does not even really exist anymore, it was renamed to
"cl-clue", and "clue" is just a transitional package to ease upgrading.

cl-clue in turn is a "Lisp package for clue/clio/pictures: X interfaces
for lisp", which I don't think you want.

I can't find a package "videolan", either. The only one I can find with
a similar name is "videolan-doc":
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/videolan-doc

 "This package contains useful documentation for the VideoLAN streaming
solution: the VLC Play HOWTO (a complete guide to using VLC as a media
player), the VLC Streaming HOWTO (a guide to using VLC as a streaming
solution), the VLS user guide and the VideoLAN FAQ."

If you follow the link I gave, you will find a link to the list of files
it installs. Synaptic can show you this, too.

You likely want the videolan player, whose package name is "vlc":
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/videolan-doc

(Note that all given links assume that you use Ubuntu 7.10, Gutsy. I
don't know which version you really use because your email client broke
the thread, so that the post I am replying to lost its context)