text editor for web development

Mark Kelly ubuntu at wastedtimes.net
Sun Mar 9 15:49:13 UTC 2008

Hi Gabe.

On Saturday 08 March 2008, Gabriel Dragffy wrote:
> So I am asking for suggestions of other great text editors. I don't mind
> KDE or Gnome,  but I am not going to consider vi or emacs. Does anyone
> here use a text editor for serious web development?

It's how I make my living, but I'm not sure how serious it is :)

> I'll be coding in xhtml, css, php, and javascript, so is there something
> that has syntax highlighting and even word completion for these?

I use Eclipse, specifically the EasyEclipse for PHP distribution you can
download here:

http://www.easyeclipse.org/site/distributions/php.html

It does highlighting on php/css/xhtml (not sure about JS as I don't do
that) including completion for (x)html tags, php functions etc.

It also does a lot of other excellent stuff (quick diff, syntax checking
for php, error highlighting, integration with subversion, to name but a
few) that make it by far my fave editor for php dev work. It also helps
that it's java, so I can use the same IDE on any OS I happen to find
myself on.

The only downside I suppose is that being java you need a VM installed and
a good sized chunk of RAM.

HTH

Mark