Accessing Synaptic Manager

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Mar 9 14:47:05 UTC 2008

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 09:22:26 -0500
Danny <bunjee at charter.net> wrote:

> Can someone help me with this message? I have just installed Ubuntu &
> can't get in to Synaptic Manager.
> This is the message I get:
>
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
> correct the problem.
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Open a terminal -
Applications - Accessories - Terminal

( or, if you are using KDE/Kubuntu, look for "Konsole" in your menu).

In the terminal type

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Then hit the <enter> or <return> key.
(notice the double dash and the spaces in the command)

If that returns to a prompt without warnings  or errors, you should be OK.
Exit the terminal (close it, or type "exit", or hit CTRL+D )

Now, assuming that you do not have synaptic open at the same time as
another installation app like 'Add/Remove Programs' or aptitude, apt-get
etc. , you should be OK to use Synaptic.

The message you saw usually happens when you interrupt an installation of
something - you need to let the install finish properly each time.

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net