text editor for web development

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Sat Mar 8 22:25:43 UTC 2008

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 20:45:56 +0000
 Gabriel Dragffy wrote:

> > I am probably going to be switching from an Apple system to Ubuntu.
> > On Apple I use TextMate, it's unbeatable. Obviously won't work on
> > Ubuntu.
> >
> > So I am asking for suggestions of other great text editors. I don't
> > mind KDE or Gnome,  but I am not going to consider vi or emacs. Does
> > anyone here use a text editor for serious web development?
> >
> > I'll be coding in xhtml, css, php, and javascript, so is there
> > something that has syntax highlighting and even word completion for
> > these?

I know you don't to hear it, but I can't believe there is anything
better than vim. I do xhtml, css, php, and javascript 50 hrs a week or
so, on both local and remote systems. There is one application I
insist on before anything else: vim. The very first thing I do (after
setting up my ssh keys) on a new system, is copy my vimrc. Next is my
muttrc. Have vimrc, will travel ;-)

--
Hal