downloading and compiling from source

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sat Mar 8 12:43:54 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 12:11 +0000, Jamie Griffin wrote:
> I've got a lot of stuff to read to teach myself, but having been using
> Mutt on my Mac i want to get it up and running on my Linux machine as
> quickly as possible.
>
> Before i attempt it, i wanted to ask for some tips on how best to
> download the source and build it myself (presumably using ./configure,
> make and make install commands).
[...]
> I'm aware i could use sudo apt-get install, but wasn't sure if this
> would install an older version of Mutt, or indeed if it's best to avoid
> this and install it manually.

I'd recommend using the one from the Ubuntu repositories. You can find
out the version to be installed by, e.g.,  "aptitude show mutt" or on
http://packages.ubuntu.org

The version there might be slightly older than the sources that come
directly from the mutt guys, but why would you care unless you
specifically need a feature that exists only in the newest source?
(Even if you absolutely need a newer version, always check the backports
repo before creating unneeded work for yourself. See
here:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports)

In general, installing from the Ubuntu repositories creates much less
headaches and maintenance work than self compiled packages, so unless
you want to learn how to compile I'd recommend sticking with the repos.