Dual boot sharing home partition

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Mar 8 09:12:34 UTC 2008

Graham Watkins wrote:
> just got a new computer which I've installed Mandriva on.  I now intend
> to install Ubuntu as well.  I have the idea of sharing the same home
> partition between the 2 installations.  Is this easy to do and are
> there any pitfalls I should bear in mind?

It is easy with your separate partition for "/home". Just tell both
distributions to mount that partition accordingly. However, the user
configuration files are all located in the $HOME directories. Therefore
you may have problems if the applications of the two distributions are
different versions. The config files might not be compatible.

Nils