Manually opening TCP ports

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Mar 7 11:03:09 UTC 2008

Siraj Shaikh wrote:
> I am trying to set this machine as part of an experiment, whereby it
> will act like sort of a honeypot. We want anyone port scanning the
> machine to find all (or many specified) ports open, or for particular
> applicaions to be able to connect to them at many/various ports. Any
> ideas on this?

What I don't understand here: Why do you want to have many ports in use
for the same application? If a malicious person or program scans for a
particular application it will look at the standard port for that
application. Only if the application can't be found there, other ports
would be scanned.

BTW: I'm subscribed to the list, therefore I don't need a copy of your
mail which would land in the spam folder anyway.

Nils