Manually opening TCP ports

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Mar 7 10:06:37 UTC 2008

Siraj Shaikh wrote:
> I am just wondering if there is a utility (or any feature in
> ubuntu/Linux) that allows me to manually open a TCP port on a machine.
> I am looking for a way that could either allow me to open ALL or many
> TCP ports on a machine.

If you start a server application it will open the appropriate port
accordingly. Only if you have some kind of firewall installed, ports are
blocked. Then you should open the wanted ports from the within firewall.

> Also, is there any way of running a service on more than a single
> port, or on all or many ports?

That depends on your application. But using _all_ ports for one
application is probably not a good idea.

Nils