Manually opening TCP ports

Siraj Shaikh siraj.shaikh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 09:29:30 UTC 2008

Tony

Thanks for your reply. The idea is to run a service (which could be
available to connect to at various/many ports), or have ports open for
anyone to atleast to be able to connect to it, and then perhaps log
any traffic received on it or do nothing.

This is part of an experiment, where we are setting this machine up as
a honeypot, only available to insider (on a network). A university
network (hint hint, like yours!) is the ideal target environment for
these purposes.

Have you had any experiences of deploying anything like this? Feel
free to reply only to my email address for reasons of privacy

Thanks