New User in need of quick lesson

jack tdldev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 02:15:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 19:33 -0500, Jesse Robertson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am probably about the lowliest of linux users out there.  At one
> point I had learned some command line when I had to work with AIX and
> Red Hat but now I am looking to put together a hylafax server on a
> ubuntu server.  I have ubuntu server installed and am basically
> waiting on my multitech modem to arrive.  The problem is that my
> knowledge was poor to begin with and now it is pretty much forgotten.
> So a crash course on command line linux would be really helpful.  Does
> anyone know of a decent one you can point me too?
>
> Thanks for your assistance.
>
> Jesse

Jesse
Linux is as friendly as can be in this respect - there are three command
line 'helpers' available to you in the OS itself.
man <whatever> = will bring up (man)ual pages, if there is such a thing.
info <whatever> = sort of like man, but sometimes much more data is
available.
apropos <whatever> = give it s subject, keyword, or whatever you can
think of. If there's a Linux command which might be in the ballpark,
apropos will throw it out as a possible.

There is also locate (or slocate, if you have installed that). locate
<whatever> will show you if something is there, and where. if you use a
few simple expressions, like locate apa*, it will locate anything
beginning with apa...

once you find the command with locate or apropos, you can then man (or
info) that command name and get the manual pages for it. Beyond that,
googling for the commands can sometimes give more tips and tricks on
their usage.

Outside of that, google for Linux commandline will turn up tons of hits,
so I'd start with my own system and work out from there. There's always
us here on the list. If you need to do something, fire off a question of
what you'd like to do - I'm sure there's a few of us here that can point
you in a good direction.