Which Python IDE?

Peter Sabaini peter at sabaini.at
Thu Mar 6 22:38:25 UTC 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008 20:52:17 Francisco Borges wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I used Emacs to develop Python for many years, but after a while using
> Eclipse to write Java, I am determined not to use an editor without
> language introspection feature (read: Emacs) again.
>
> I tried googling for "best python ide" but most comparisons I found
> were pretty old.
>
> Is there anyone here who can give advice of what I should try first?
>
> Eclipse+pyDev? Eric? SPE?

This depends a little on what you're going to do. I personally use WingIDE and
Emacs alternately and am pretty happy with both. If you're doing QT
development you should probably take a serious look at Eric though.

Remember that language introspection features ie. autocompletion etc. aren't
as easy in Python (or in other dynamic languages, for that matter) as in Java
because the type of an object can never be fully determined beforehand.

peter.