What to do with lots of CSV files

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 6 22:22:19 UTC 2008

On 03/06/2008 02:45 AM, damian wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've asked this on a couple of Open Office forums, and not received much
> help. I know it's not an Ubuntu question, but given the excellent
> thought I should ask here.

Come on over to the OOo mailing list (email or via gmane nntp):
http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html
[users at openoffice.org]

I think you'll have pretty good luck getting your question(s) answered
there.

> Every week, I receive a CSV file which has a between 3 and 50 people's
> names on it who I should contact. Some of these people have email
> addresses in there, some have snail mail addresses, most have relevant
> dates etc. At the moment, I'm finding these lists unusable and the
> thought of going through them all manually is just too intimidating.
>
> Is there a way to set up Base (or any other part of OpenOffice, or any
> other apps) that could make all of this information more user friendly?
> Could it, for example, just give me a list of all people to contact and
> all of their relevant dates? Which ones are to email and which to write
> to? Maybe even automate the mailing somewhat? And then do the same thing
> with the next file and create a big database of information?
>
> Could I then combine this with my own contacts database (which I've
> never actually set up yet .. still using text files in a folder) to have
> a database of people and to know when my last contact with them was, who
> do I need to chase up? Maybe tag people with X, Y and X options of what
> needs to be done with that contact.

How easy it is with multiple files depends on the consistency of how the
csv's are arranged. If they all have the same common format then it's
not too difficult at all.

You can easily save the csv's as ods/xls and mailmerge or create
tables/forms/reports in Base.

You might find these helpful:
http://support.openoffice.org/index.html
http://documentation.openoffice.org/
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Category:Base_Documentation
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Tutorials

You'll also find prebuilt table templates in Base (Tabel Wizard) that
you can use, see:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Standard_Distributed_Schema