partitioning

Rich Rudnick rich at aphroneo.net
Wed Mar 5 23:32:27 UTC 2008

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> When I installed ubuntu 7.10 I set up 3 primary partitions plus unallocated space for future distros.
> Running gparted on the completed installation showed sda1 / and sda2, an extended partition occupying
> the rest of the disk, containing the remaining partitions and the unallocated space. That's not how I
> thought I set it up but that's what I got. Everything I've read claims the 1st 3 primaries lie outside
> the extended partition. Someone care to educate me as to what went on and just how shallow *is* my
> partitioning knowledge?
>
> This is leading up to a question about loading 1 or 2 more distros. Can I simply create more primary
> partitions in the unallocated space inside the extended partition? If so, how many?
>
> Any pointers, help, figurative hand holding or flames gracefully accepted.

dos formatted hard disks can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions. The
extended partition (with logical partitions inside) was created to get
around this. It's very common to have 3 primary, one extended and
multiple logical partitions, but there is no requirement that there be 3
primaries before you create an extended.

You don't have to change anything you have, just continue to create
logical partitions in your unallocated space in the extended partition
and install more distro's there.