partitioning

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Wed Mar 5 23:19:02 UTC 2008

When I installed ubuntu 7.10 I set up 3 primary partitions plus unallocated space for future distros.
Running gparted on the completed installation showed sda1 / and sda2, an extended partition occupying
the rest of the disk, containing the remaining partitions and the unallocated space. That's not how I
thought I set it up but that's what I got. Everything I've read claims the 1st 3 primaries lie outside
the extended partition. Someone care to educate me as to what went on and just how shallow *is* my
partitioning knowledge?

This is leading up to a question about loading 1 or 2 more distros. Can I simply create more primary
partitions in the unallocated space inside the extended partition? If so, how many?

Any pointers, help, figurative hand holding or flames gracefully accepted.

Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
  check the price of the beer"