Robert Holtzman holtzm at
Wed Mar 5 23:19:02 UTC 2008

When I installed ubuntu 7.10 I set up 3 primary partitions plus unallocated space for future distros.
Running gparted on the completed installation showed sda1 / and sda2, an extended partition occupying
the rest of the disk, containing the remaining partitions and the unallocated space. That's not how I
thought I set it up but that's what I got. Everything I've read claims the 1st 3 primaries lie outside
the extended partition. Someone care to educate me as to what went on and just how shallow *is* my
partitioning knowledge?

This is leading up to a question about loading 1 or 2 more distros. Can I simply create more primary
partitions in the unallocated space inside the extended partition? If so, how many?

Any pointers, help, figurative hand holding or flames gracefully accepted.

Bob Holtzman
  check the price of the beer"