gnome-desktop

Rich Rudnick rich at aphroneo.net
Wed Mar 5 05:06:48 UTC 2008

Gunawan wrote:
> thank you both of you Jim Rosser and Chris
> I have modified sources.list. It is easier using nano rather than vi.
> I have confuse to edit the sources.list while using vi.
> I have another problem.
> though I have setup
> http_proxy=http://
> it is seem my proxy does not allow me to connect to outside world.
> What is the right syntax to configure the proxy?
> I have used this
> http_proxy=http://DOMAIN\user:password@myproxy:port
> and seems not working.
> I can not get response when ping to security.ubuntu.com
> Regards,
> Gun

Gun,

apt uses it's own proxy setting. You would create a file in
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d , with the following content:

 http
  {
    Proxy "http://127.0.0.1:3128";
    // Proxy::http.us.debian.org "DIRECT";  // Specific per-host setting
    // Timeout "120";
    // Pipeline-Depth "5";

// Cache Control. Note these do not work with Squid 2.0.2
    // No-Cache "false";
    // Max-Age "86400";     // 1 Day age on index files
    // No-Store "false";    // Prevent the cache from storing archives
    // Dl-Limit "7";        // 7Kb/sec maximum download rate
  };

You probably don't need to set anything but the proxy, so I've commented
out all the other options. You can set them as you choose, just remove
the ' // ' at the beginning.

There are many more options you can set for apt, see
/usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz

Rich