Drive recovery using Linux??

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 4 22:07:37 UTC 2008

On 03/04/2008 10:12 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> JosephK wrote:
>
>> Use the loopback option to mount the image file thus:-
>>
>> $ sudo mkdir /mnt/temp
>> $ sudo mount -o loop -t ext3 /mnt/share/filename.img /mnt/temp
>>
>> You can also use this method to mount an iso image
>
> The problem I'm wondering about (the image from dd is almost done) is
> the filesystem...the mount example is trying ext3, when I tried mounting
> the drive physically fdisk couldn't determine the existence of a
> partition table, and no filesystem.
>
> Any way to extract if there was a filesystem and it's just damaged?

Try to open the drive in Knoppix. You may have to set a root password in
order to do so (KPOPPIX|Set password for root). If you can mount it,
then you should be able to copy the files. They may have some damage,
but should be recoverable for the most part.

You can also try:

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
    http://www.sysresccd.org/System-tools
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/