Which version of Ubuntu Linux?

Andrew Morris andrewcameronmorris at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 3 01:32:35 UTC 2008

Hi Steve,

thanks for the tip below.

However, I now have a problem similar to that described in comments # 68. 69
& 97 on

http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_boot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first
i.e. On my Vista laptop I downloaded the recommended Ubuntu 7.10 from the
recommended site, burnt it onto a CD (using Imgburn as suggested in comment
99), then, after setting BIOS boot top priority to "IDE CD: etc.", I tried
to boot Ubuntu from CD. But the "Press any key to boot from CD" option
(which comes up when booting with the Vista installation CD in place) does
not appear, and the system boots Vista. I already tried before writing a CD
using Windows Media Center" and with Nero. Have you any clues about what I
am still doing wrong? In Imgburn I selected burn option "Data CD" (not "BD")
and "burn to the disk directly..." (not "burn using Windows Media Player").
Is it possible that with my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 1505 it is simply not
possible to load Ununtu?

  Andrew Morris

On 02/03/2008, Steve Cook <yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 18:15 +0000, Andrew Morris wrote:
> > On the Ubuntu download page
> >
> >   http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
> >
> > it asks whether you have:
> >
> >   1. Standard PC (x86, Pentium, Celeron, Athlon, Sempron)
> >   2. 64bit AMD and Intel computers
> >   3. Sun UltraSPARC
> >
> > My PC (a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop) uses Intel Centrino, so is IS
> > Intel, but it is 32 bit - so should I download for case (1) or (2)
> > above?
> >
> > Choice 2 downloads a file called ubuntu-7.10-desktop-amd64.iso, which
> > suggests it is for 64bits onl
>

> You need 1, Standard PC (x86, Pentium, Celeron, Athlon, Sempron)
> >

> steve

Andrew C. Morris

Email : andrewcameronmorris at gmail.com
URL   : andrewcameronmorris at googlepages.com
Tel     : +44 7789 158 900 (mobile)

I think, therefore I know what  "I think" means